In choosing a topic for my university reform site, I've considered all the usual suspects. Our relatively small campus is bursting at the seams. Parking is, of course, a huge problem, and it would have been nearly impossible for me to find an on-campus apartment as a junior had I not signed up for honors housing in January. In the end, I think it's best for me to address the issue that has a huge impact on my TCU education and my options after graduation.
I plan to argue for financial aid reform. Through my website, I want to challenge the TCU community to change the way we think about merit scholarships and to consider ways we can make a TCU education more accessible to potential students of diverse academic and cultural backgrounds. More specifically, I'll propose a campaign to increase scholarship funding for transfer students and upperclassmen who have excelled in the classroom, demonstrated exceptional talent in their major field, or made wide-ranging contributions to their college community.
My experience in navigating TCU's financial aid system as a transfer student has inspired me to argue for improvement in this aspect of the university experience. As I continue to develop my site ideas, I'll share my story here. But first, I want to hear from you. Are you satisfied with the scholarship opportunities available at TCU? As a scholarship applicant, did you feel the requirements/selection criteria for each scholarship were expressed clearly? How did merit scholarships influence your decision to come to TCU? How do scholarships or financial aid impact the quality of your TCU experience?
No comments:
Post a Comment