During my peer reviews in class today, I asked my partners for advice on choosing how much text to include on my poster. My main concern is that featuring too much information--even if all of it is useful and pertinent to the cause--causes the viewer to become overwhelmed and look to an easier visual target. As a writing major I'm accustomed to whipping out five or six page papers at the last minute...so using an economy of words to express my message is difficult for me.
Most people I talked to today had chosen a phrase or slogan to encapsulate their pitch or donation appeal. I've decided which images and materials I'm going to use, and I'm now entering the final stages of putting the final product together. I'm still struggling with a slogan that neatly ties together the main concept I want people to pick up from my campaign. Does anyone have suggestions or advice on how to catch the viewer's attention in, oh, ten words or less?
As far as the total amount of text goes...I had originally planned to outline several different ways to donate on the poster itself. After looking at others' drafts and discussing the issue with my partners, I think it might be more effective to simply include a link with a simple explanation such as "To learn more, visit..." or "To donate, go to..." I could give viewers a link to my blog, then make a blog post detailing all of the donation options including information about my Etsy shop. Or, I could give a link to the shop itself, and post donation info my shop's homepage.
What do you think? I'm worried about retention--would you be able to remember a link long enough to get home and look up the site? Of course, I could use one of the link-shortening programs we discussed in class. Or, do you think a concise list of options is more effective than redirecting people to the web?
No comments:
Post a Comment