As I'm putting the finishing touches on my collage design, I've been thinking about how I can extend my project beyond the poster. My collage focuses on the idea of female entrepreneurship and creativity. Through programs such as CARE's microfinance initiative, thousands of women have started businesses to support their families. Selling handmade products allows these entrepreneurs to provide food, clothing, and education for their children (and themselves), throwing a wrench into the cycle of poverty.
Since we have dedicated all of our donations from this project to Operation USA, the majority of funds raised will be used for immediate disaster relief rather than long term entrepreneurial programs. In the context of the extreme food shortage and overwhelming need that continues to plague East African nations, I think donating to a relief centered organization like Operation USA was the best choice to make. But I've been searching for a way to incorporate handmade goods and female entrepreneurship into my donation campaign.
I've decided to set up an Etsy shop as part of my donation effort. My shop will feature beaded bracelets and, depending on demand, may eventually feature other handmade jewelry items as well. All of the proceeds from the shop will go to Operation USA. On my poster, I'll include the link to my shop and give people several options for how to donate:
1. Link to my Crowdrise page
2. Text donations to Operation USA (Text AID to 50555 to donate $10)
3. Put change in the jar
4. Link to my Etsy shop
If my display space allows, I'll set out a couple of sample bracelets along with my collage and change jar. I'm curious to see whether this will generate a response...I might not get any buyers, but I'm happy to take a risk. You can set up your own Etsy shop here. I'll post a link to my shop when I've had time to fully set up my Etsy page.
How are you using online platforms to promote your donation effort? Have any ideas for extending this collage project into the "real world"?
No comments:
Post a Comment